Thursday, November 21, 2013

Five of My Favorite TV Shows


My Top Five Favorite TV Shows (currently watching)



1. Lost Girl

I discovered this Canadian TV show on Netflix and I'm so glad I did. It's an amazing urban fantasy, with a vibe like Buffy the Vampire Slayer on ecstasy. The main character, Bo, discovers that she's fae, a type of magical being that feeds off human energy or emotions. In her case, she's a succubus who feeds of sexual energy (it makes for some awesome sex scenes). Fae society is strictly divided between the light fae and the dark, with a set of complicated rules governing how the two sides interact with each other. With her best friend Kenzi, her mysterious mentor Trick, and her assortment of lovers, Bo sets about helping fae on both sides of the aisle. 


2. The League

I've never card at all about football, and I don't know anything fantasy football, but I do know that this show is hilarious. The characters are members of a fantasy football league who will stop at nothing to win the championship, whether its sabotaging each other in bizarre ways or trading away "naming rights" for their baby. What more is there to say about a series that depicts a raging Krampus attacking Santa Claus in the mall, or a baby named Chalupa Batman?



3. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

This show can be really funny, although they might be a little too raunchy for some people's taste. It's about five people living in Philadelphia who run Paddy's Pub, a seedy bar. The newest season is one of their bests, with episodes such as "Flowers for Charlie," a hilarious homage to Flowers for Algernon that depicts the dumbest character on the show, Charlie, taking part in an experiment to make him more intelligent. I won't spoil the reveal, but it is priceless! Another great episode, "Mac Day" has Sean Williams Scott (Stiffler from the American Pie movies) in a brilliant guest starring role. 


4. The Blue Planet 

I love nature shows. They have soothing voices (usually the oh-so-British David Attenborough) which I find calming after a stressful day. But most of all, they capture the grandeur and beauty of life on Earth. From awe-inspiring footage of dolphins or enormous blue whales, to the struggles of the humble hermit crab, the Blue Planet is gorgeous and engaging. Bonus points for being educational enough that I don't feel bad watching it with my baby :)

5. Firefly

I've watched Firefly at least three or four times (probably more), but I'm re-watching it again with my husband. It's a fantastic science fiction show by Joss Wedon, set in a solar system people colonized after we used up Earth's resources. It follows a band of outlaws living on the fringes of the system, trying to survive any way they can. Captain Mal is part Robin Hood and part Jesse James, and the show really captures the frontier aspects of space travel. It still bothers me that the show was cancelled after just one season, but at least we have it on DVD and Netflix.


5 comments:

  1. Here via G+. I like nature shows too even thoguh I a blind so won't be able to actually see the scenes. The Lost Girl seems like a goodie for a fantasy show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost Girl is awesome, you should definitely check it out! I guess the sounds of nature are really great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! for the information go here http://alatterdayteen.blogspot.com/2013/11/liebster-award-2013-second-one.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Firefly, that, China Beach, and West Wing are top three for me. Curious about Lost Girl. Thanks for recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check out Lost Girl! I used to watch the West Wing, but it's been years since I watched it. I've never watched China Beach, but now I'm curious.

      Delete