Sunday, November 17, 2013

My Baby's First Camping Trip

My husband and I love camping, so when we had our baby, we wanted to teach her to love the outdoors as much as we do. We recently took our daughter Anwen on her first camping trip (at four moths old) and everyone had a fantastic time!


Anwen and our friend Laura

It turns out you can take babies camping as young as six weeks old (although I'd be VERY cautious with a baby that young). Anwen loved being outdoors and we had gorgeous weather. We were camping with a large group of friends, which meant that there were plenty of people holding her and playing with her all day long. (Note: I think this might be the key to successfully camping with a baby. Lots of hands and lots of eyes looking out for her--it really does take a village).



One of our friends lent us a large six-person tent--the Cabela's Alaskan Guide. We had enough room in the tent to bring Anwen's pack-n-play for her to sleep in. It got down to around 40 degrees at night, so we dressed her very warmly, layering her regular sleeper underneath her fuzzy bunting. I snuggled her in my sleeping bag to warm her up when I thought she might be getting cold. On the whole, I thought she handled the cold very well.



We brought her baby bjorn to put her in when we went for walks around the campsite. We were camping in Davy Crockett National Forest in East Texas, and it was beautiful. Since we were celebrating my husband David's birthday, everyone made a special meal--leg of lamb and tri-tip steak, baked potatoes, green beans, and a dutch-oven cobbler for dessert. The food was delicious!





Overlook in Davy Crockett National Forest


One of the pleasant things about camping is having a great bonfire. It gives you warmth, keeps away bugs, and cooks food. Sitting around a campfire with a group of friends is one of the best parts of camping (especially if you love s'mores, like me). Anwen found the fire fascinating; she kept staring at it. Luckily, she's not crawling or walking, so I didn't have to worry about her getting too close to it. 



Sitting around the fire



No comments:

Post a Comment