Monday, December 16, 2013

Looking Forward to the Holidays



This is a bit late for the blog hop, but I'm writing about the things I look forward to this time of year. My husband and I love the holiday season and look forward to celebrating Christmas with our family.


1. My Baby's First Christmas!

So I can't say I always look forward to this, since this is the first year we've had our little girl, but I'm beyond excited that my baby Anwen is celebrating Christmas for the first time this year. She's a sweet, joyful baby who loves getting love and attention from everyone in our family, from her grandparents to her aunties and uncles. We already have adorable pictures of her with Santa, and I can't wait to take pictures of her with all her family. 


2. Cookies! Cakes! Chocolate! Pies!

So I have a serious sweet tooth, and I love love love baking (and eating) cookies and other holidays sweets. My mother has a few special cookie recipes that we've made in our family since I was a small child--jam thumbprints, orange and lemon cookie slices, peppermint candy cane cookies, and others. We made jam thumbprints over Thanksgiving, so I think we'll make orange and lemon cookie slices when we visit over Christmas. I'm also planning to make a buche de noel this year, which will hopefully be amazing. 


3. Prime Rib and Yorkshire Pudding

While most people in America have turkey for Christmas, my family always makes traditional English roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. My grandfather was English, and he preferred roast beef to turkey, thus the family tradition began. And it's marvelous. I might love turkey at Thanksgiving and other celebrations, but roasted prime rib for Christmas served with savory Yorkshire pudding makes Christmas stand out.


4. Music!

As I've mentioned before, I love Christmas music! From great classics like Handel's Messiah to modern music by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I'm fascinated by holiday music. 


5. Movies and Christmas Specials!

Maybe sometimes Christmas movies are a bit sappy, but I think it's nice to sit back and enjoy the warm, fuzzy feelings that emanate from holiday movies and TV shows. So much of the news is dark and depressing, so it's a relief to me to enjoy some light feel-goodness this time of year. Besides, if it all gets a little too sugary, shows like Futurama and Invader Zim have excellent dark-funny Christmas episodes. 



This is a Blog Hop!

8.

You are next... Click here to enter
This list will close in 19 days, 4 hrs, 24 min (12/31/2013 11:59 PM North America - Eastern Standard Time)

What is a blog hop?
Get the code here...

Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

2 comments:

  1. This is the first time I have come across any of your posts. I enjoyed it. The holidays is special for all of us. My favorite parts of Christmas are the holiday movies that warm my heart and the gifts that I give.

    Thank you and have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete