Thursday, January 9, 2014

Finishing My First Draft (The Endings Blogfest)


In 
In honor of the Endings Blogfest, I'd like to celebrate completing the first draft of my novel. It may still need editing and revising, but I'm thrilled that I've got it all down at least. It represents the end of over a year's worth of work, yet hopefully the beginning of many new projects. I'm already writing a new short story I had in mind, and I'm hoping to write several more short stories and start writing another novel soon.

In terms of how I write, I do usually have my ending in mind when I start writing, but that doesn't mean I know everything that happens on the way. Sometimes my characters seem to have a mind of their own, or the story seems to naturally go off in a certain direction. While I did outline my novel, for example, I didn't always stick to my outline--I wanted the emotional pacing of the story to feel realistic, not forced. Giving my main character space to think about his situation gave my novel greater depth (so I hope anyway :).

While I've had other significant life events this year, like the birth of my beloved daughter, I consider those to be great beginnings, not endings. Although I suppose that in a way beginnings and endings are two sides of the same coin. Having a baby changed me so completely I know a part of my life did end, but it's also the beginning of my new family, and the beginning of Anwen's life journey. So exciting!


1.Writing Off the Edge2.Laura Clipson
3.Fragile words4.Sydney Aaliyah Michelle
5.Shah Wharton's Wordsinsync6.Tyrean's Writing Spot
7.Estrella Azul's - Life's a Stage8.The Wise Serpenty
9.CarrieAnne's Magick Theatre10.Getting Up For The 8th Time
11.The Beveled Edge12.Krista McLaughlin
13.Writing Worlds





4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your novel!!! And best wishes with your family and all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing the first draft of your novel, and for the birth of your daughter! I have two boys, and I know that children represent a great beginning. You're absolutely right that beginnings and endings are two sides of the same coin. I guess it all comes down to which you'd rather focus on: that which ended, or the beginning in front of you.

    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, it's been a pleasure :)

      Delete