Friday, January 10, 2014

This Year's Books 2014


There are many books that I'd love to read, reread, or finish reading this year. Here's a list of the books currently sitting on my nightstand. I'll hopefully end up reading many more books, but these are a good start.

1. Ulysses, James Joyce

I began my James Joyce project in 2012--my goal is to read Joyce's complete works and blog about them. Thus far I've finished Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and now I'm working on reading Ulysses. It's an intense book, but so far I've made it to Chapter 7, and it's totally fascinating. 

2. Dangerous Women, Anthology Edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois

My husband gave me this book for Christmas, and I was so excited to read George R.R. Martin's novella The Princess and the Queen that I finished it that same night (and it's a brilliant story--if you are waiting for the dragons to show up in A Song of Ice and Fire, then this story will give you a taste of just how much dragons can change the battlefield). I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the stories in here, which I've heard are really great. 

3. The Silmarillion, J.R.R. Tolkien

This is another Christmas present from my dear husband. I had an old copy of The Silmarillion, but it was so well read all its pages were falling out. Now I have a shiny new copy and I can't resist reading it again. There may be some people who never reread beloved books or re-watch their favorite movies, but I am not one of those people. And Tolkien is worth re-reading--each time I catch something new about his world, and how it relates to our own. 


4. City of Dark Magic, Magnus Flyte

I bought this book because I heard good things about it, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Still, I'm excited to try out some new fantasy authors, and this book sounds intriguing, especially to a musician. It takes place in Prague, a city I've always been fascinated by, and the main character has a job cataloging Beethoven's manuscripts. To a musician/fantasy lover, it sounds amazing.

5. The Voyage Out, Virginia Woolf

I wrote my undergraduate thesis on the works of Virginia Woolf, so I've read most of her books. Except this one! So I'm glad to have a new book to read by an author I've read deeply in the past. This book is one of Woolf's first novels, and many of its elements foreshadow some of her later works.


6. The Name of the Wind, Patrick Rothfuss

Everyone keeps telling me to read this book, so I figure I should give it a try. I've listened to parts of it on audible, but lost interest fairly quickly. Still, I've been assured that it gets better, and ends up being a great book, so I'll give it another try.


7. Back from the Abyss: The Autobiography of a Low-Bottom Alky, Kieran Doherty

After I wrote a post on Seven Excellent Biographies two people recommended this book to me, and the publisher sent me a copy. I've started reading it, and so far it's been a good book--a very intense memoir on addiction. I'll hopefully finish it and write a review blog by the end of this month. 




Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

No comments:

Post a Comment