Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Kingkiller Chronicles


I'd intended to read Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind for over a year before I actually read it. My husband had listened to the book on tape, and I had listened at first too, but through a series of unfortunate events I never finished it. To be fair, it took me quite a while to get into it, and the book on tape felt like it moved frustratingly slow, and it was harder to remember crucial details. Eventually, my husband bought me a regular paperback. Then I had a baby, and the paperback sat untouched for months. But finally, after much intention and little results, I actually sat down and started reading the book. I finished it in a couple of days. Not because the book is short, but because once I got into it I could hardly put it down. Once I finished The Name of the Wind, I immediately bought The Wise Man's Fear and read that too.

Rothfuss has been hailed as the next big fantasy writer, the next George R.R. Martin, and certainly he has created one of the best fantasy worlds I've seen. It's deep and fascinating, and manages to pay homage to traditional fantasy like Tolkien, yet still remain unique. An enormous vegetarian drug-addicted dragon? Check. The main character, Kvothe, is a brilliant wizard, yet the books seem to have a running theme: for all Kvothe's genius and talent, he has very little true wisdom. I've never seen a book, fantasy or otherwise, that convincingly depicted such a complicated and contradictory character. Kvothe's relationship with Denna might be one of the most nuanced portrayals of love I've ever read. I'd highly recommend these books to anyone who enjoys reading fantasy, and I can't wait for the next book!


Also, I can't wait to read The Slow Regard of Silent Things. Auri is such a mysterious and haunting character!



Amazon.com - Read eBooks using the FREE Kindle Reading App on Most Devices

No comments:

Post a Comment