Friday, January 23, 2015

Getting in Shape this Year

January's the month for resolutions, and I've been reading and writing like crazy to practice my New Year's Resolutions for Writers. Of course, I have personal goals as well, and like many Americans one of them is losing weight and getting in shape. After my sweet little girl was born, I've had a hard time getting rid of my pregnancy weight. This Christmas I got a fitbit, and I've been using it to track my progress.

With the fitbit, my goal is to get 10,000 steps per day. It's my first time using a pedometer, and I had not realized exactly how much walking it takes to get to 10,000 steps. It's at least an extra hour of dedicated walking, in addition to your normal movement, to reach the goal. I usually only make it about two or three times per week, but I'm making progress. The fitbit also tracks things like sleep, the number of stairs you climb, and you can enter in your diet and exercise information if you'd like. It's been a useful tool--I'm definitely more motivated now that I know how much movement I'm actually doing per day.
In terms of diet, I'm making an effort to eat more vegetables. In part, I want to encourage my daughter to eat healthy, so I want to be a good example. Instead of tying myself down to a set plan, I'm going for a eat more good stuff and less bad stuff approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment