Monday, January 5, 2015

New Year's Resolutions for Writers

I had a great 2014 in many ways. I revised and edited my first novel, wrote a few short stories, and did plenty of blogging. In my personal life, I loved seeing my daughter turn one, learn to walk, and say many of her first words. This year, I want to focus on appreciating all the good things in my life, from my loving husband and my beautiful baby, as well as pushing myself to do better on other things, like writing and keeping in shape. With that in mind, I'm thinking about doing multiple sets of New Year's Resolutions. So here's my New Year's Resolutions for my writing in 2015.

1. Read Books!

It's a truth universally acknowledged that no one can write well unless they read regularly. While I love to read, it's easy to let reading slide to the wayside when there's so much to do and so many distractions in everyday life. But I have a stack of books on my nightstand, a new series I'm starting, and plenty of time in the evenings if I stop watching as much TV. I'm also planning on reading a wide variety of books, from classics to science fiction/fantasy to nonfiction, so I can feed my brain a balanced diet. I'm also going to read to my baby every day, so I'll know all the great children's classics :)

2. Finish the First Draft of a New Novel

Yes, I know there are plenty of you NaNoWriMo types who finish a novel in a month. With working and taking care of my baby, I don't really have the time or energy for NaNo, and anyway it doesn't suit my writing style to rush like that. So my goal is to finish 60,000 words or more on my second book sometime this year.

3. Write 5-10 New Short Stories

I've enjoyed writing short stories, since they can be a nice break from my novel. I've had one accepted into an anthology, and I'm hoping to have more accepted into magazines or other anthologies. In addition to being good writing practice, shorts feel like a good way to get my name out there.

4. Write 100 Blog Posts

I've actually written over two hundred blog posts since I started blogging a couple of years ago. Some have taken off, others haven't, but recently I noticed that I wrote more posts in my first year of blogging than I ever have since. So this year I'm going to try for a hundred more posts. I think that more blogging will keep my writing skills sharp.

5. Attend a Writing Conference

I think it would be fun and inspiring to attend a writer's conference, and they have a big one here in Dallas every year. I want to try pitching an agent in person, and I've heard the workshops are helpful and interesting.

Do you have any resolutions for your writing this year? If so, let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment