Thursday, January 21, 2016

A Visit to the Caddo Mounds

After a recent camping trip, my family and I visited the Caddo Mounds outside of Nacogdoches, TX. It's an interesting historical site with a newly renovated museum. The mounds themselves are the ceremonial burial ground for the Caddo Native Americans. The site dates back to 800 AD. While the museum was small, it was a nice place to visit and I learned quite a bit about early Texas history. 
My daughter running towards one of the Caddo Mounds.
Caddo Mound with its historical marker.
Inside the museum, an example of Caddo houses.
Interestingly, the Caddo constructed houses shaped similarly to the "beehive" huts they used in Ireland at around the same time period.
Examples of objects found near the mounds. 
My little girl loved playing on the traditional drums.

No comments:

Post a Comment